Our marriage and entire family structure survived yet another campaign season. Best of all, Louis' candidate won. Tremendous relief felt by us all.
Louis and Pauline were photographed at the victory party just after they saw the first poll results showing that Pauline Cutter was going to be the next mayor of San Leandro. The San Leandro Times published the photo of the two of them smiling on the front page of the paper and Louis has been getting tons of great feedback all week about his work successfully managing her campaign. Olivia and I are very proud of him. And completely thrilled that he will no longer be working on a campaign! We love having him home.
I have a husband again. Hurray!
The candidate we were supporting to take over Pauline's spot on the city council (our district), unfortunately, did not win. I am not at all fond of our new representative and since I publicly supported her opponent, I'm pretty sure she'll be kicking me off the library commission. Stupid political games.
Political campaigns bring out the best and the worst in people. One of the more interesting stories I heard during the campaign was when Pauline went in to Hidden Wok, a Chinese restaurant at the Pelton Center, to order food to go. She had been going there for years and knew the employees so when Pauline noticed they had a campaign sign for her opponent hung in the restaurant, Pauline asked about it and was told, "Yes, vote for her because the other candidate hates Chinese people." WTF!? Pauline says, "Well, I'm the other candidate," and the woman goes, "Oh!" and doesn't know what to say because she knows Pauline and clearly doesn't think she hates Chinese people.
Apparently her opponent received tons of support from Benny Lee, who wanted the Chinese flag flown over city hall. When Pauline voted against it, he started a campaign of spreading lies about Pauline to the Asian community in San Leandro, saying she was anti-Asian.
They had lies. But we had Nancy Fong :) In the end, good always wins.
I am so, so relieved the campaign is over. I'm ready for some peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment