Sunday, August 26, 2007

The First Post

So, even though I may be the only person I know (besides Louis) who is not on MySpace, I am making the long-overdue leap to the "blogosphere" -- and I'm so excited! I had an epiphany this past week and after a long conversation with Louis (and a nice loan from my parents), I have decided to enroll in midwifery school! For the past few months, I had been coming up with excuses for why I should delay my enrollment, but none of the excuses seem all that valid anymore. The sooner I get moving, the sooner I finish, right?

In case you're confused, I was not already a student midwife. For the past two years, I have been working as a birth doula. Since most people are not familiar with this title, I sometimes referred to myself as a "midwife's assistant." Everyone seems to know what that means and it's just so much easier than having to explain the whole thing dozens of times. As a doula, I assist women in labor but I do not catch the baby as it is born. My goal is to learn to catch babies at home births, and in order to do that, I have to become a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM). Why don't I want to catch babies in the hospital? Please stay tuned...

To receive my title of CPM, I needed to enroll in a midwifery school that specializes in training home birth midwives. The school I chose is the National Midwifery Institute. It is a distance-learning program that requires you to complete assignments at your own pace. Once I enroll in the program, I will be sent 52 written assignments ("modules") in the mail. I complete each module and mail it back to the school's headquarters for a grade and feedback. There's a lot more to the school requirements than just the modules, but in the interest of keeping your interest, I'll explain all that later.

Since my school's system of teaching is different from anything I have done before, I really need to be organized and committed to finishing on time. I started this blog to help keep me focused and on track with my assignments. It's also a way for friends and family to see what a day in the life of a student midwife is all about. Of course, included with midwifery stories will be all the other things that keep me busy in-between births: going to doula interviews, prenatal and postpartum visits; running the East Bay Doula Circle; taking care of my mother-in-law; selling on eBay; packing up the house in preparation for our eventual move; attempting to learn how to cook; volunteering at OneChild; and spending quality time with family and friends.

From the age of about 10, I just knew I was meant to catch babies. Two of my great-grandmothers were midwives in the Southwest and caught many babies at home. I am open to the idea of eventually getting a nursing degree and becoming a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) or even applying to med school to become an OB/GYN. For now, though, the CPM credential just feels right. I believe women were meant to give birth in the privacy and comfort of their own homes. It makes sense in so many ways and it is an experience I hope to have soon with my own children.

My family and friends have been so supportive of my choice to pursue such an intensely demanding career and I am forever grateful. I hope you enjoy accompanying me on this journey!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How excited we all are to support you in this "journey" ... Your caring soul and giving heart already make you one of the finest birth professionals out there. Don't ever hesitate to continue to pursue this dream. I couldn't be any more thrilled to be your husband! 143

Crazy said...

WOO HOO!
Welcome and Congratulations! Hip-Hip-Hooray for discovering and pursuing your gift.

carolyn said...

Congratulations on this decision and thanks for starting a blog! I think it's a perfect next step for you and I'm sure you'll excell at it. I'll stay tuned :)

Crazy said...

WHOO HOO! Welcome to the community and pursuing a career where your talents will be recognized!

Anonymous said...

you go, girl! shall we buy you a "catcher's mitt" for your birthday next month?

Anonymous said...

Mom said....

I am so happy & proud of your decision to follow your heart and continue with your schooling. You will not only be the supportive and caring dula for all those mommies out there but will one day soon be able to "catch" all those little miracles... and what greater gift can this be to all involved! Love you!