Monday, August 27, 2007

The Name

Hey, thanks for all the great comments! I'm starting to like this whole blog thing. I woke up super early this morning just thinking about stuff to write.

I just dropped off my midwifery school application at the post office! Speaking of post offices, if you need something mailed fast, take it to the Main San Leandro Post Office off Marina Blvd. They somehow manage to get my eBay packages to the other side of the country in less than two days. Amazing.

I just ordered a ton of textbooks from Amazon.com and I can't wait for them to arrive. Louis says I'm such a nerd because I read a book a day. I know he means it lovingly, though.

So, I wanted to explain the blog name, yellowrose15. I purposefully designed the blog to resemble my doula web site, which I really like. There is a picture of yellow roses in the upper corner of my web site. It was meant to be a place holder, but I think it will stay now. When I think of yellow roses, I think of my maternal grandmother. Her favorite color was yellow. I know yellow roses can symbolize friendship, and that's cool too.

I was the very first grandchild on my mom's side of the family. When I was born, my grandmother took one year off work to watch me everyday. I wish I could remember this time with her, but I just know it was great. I have such good memories of time spent with my grandmother while I was growing up. She passed away when I was 15 and I have missed her everyday since then. I feel like she is kind of watching over me, so I try to honor her presence as much as I can. Since she couldn't be at my wedding, I carried a bouquet of white roses with a single yellow rose tucked in.Maybe I'm still naive about this, but I am trying to keep the blog from reaching the entire world, so I didn't want my name to be anything identifiable or searchable. Words like "doula" and "midwife" were out, along with any parts of my name. The name yellowrose was taken, so I added the 15 at the end because it's my birthday. It's also my lucky roulette number.

And there you have it.

I'm waiting on four babies right now. By the way, it will be quite awhile before I start attending births as a student midwife, so whenever I mention a birth, assume I'm attending it as a doula. Anyway, so I've got four babies on the way. I'm rested and I have a clear schedule this week. I'll be ready whenever the babies are (one at a time, please!). The hospitals I'll be going to are on opposite ends of the East Bay. This means the best place for me to hang out is at home, right smack in the middle. I really am living in an ideal location, but oh how I wish the BART was not right outside the window! Eventually we'll look back at our first place and laugh about our experience here, but that may be a long time from now.

Until my textbooks and modules arrive, I'll be keeping busy with cleaning the house and selling on eBay. I had no idea how collectible Nancy Drew books were until my mom found a box of them at a garage sale. I looked them up online and learned how to tell whether one is valuable or not. If you ever see a hardcover Nancy Drew book with a blue cover, black-outlined title, and blank first page, snatch it up! My mom bought a book like this for less than a dollar and I just sold it on eBay for more than $100. The books with the yellow spines aren't worth all that much.

Hope you're having a good day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great website!