Monday, May 24, 2010

Status Update

Happy birthday to my favorite sister!

Had dinner at her new place for the first time this weekend. It's very cozy and nice. Considering she really just moved in, it doesn't even feel chaotic or anything. Okay, so there's no door knob on the bathroom door and we had to bring our own folding chairs, but overall she's done a great job settling in. I'm happy for her and I'm glad to see she's happy, too

The stress level around here is definitely stabilizing. Louis had his big fundraising event for the new San Leandro Education Foundation yesterday. He called it a great success, yea! The weather cooperated, the Notables were good, the students' artwork on display was great, and all the food was eaten. Huge thanks to Sophia for managing the kitchen (withOUT interference from Louis) and the student helpers. Her chocolate dipped strawberries and cherries were amazing.

I got to hang out with friends afterwards, which is always nice. I got lots of nice comments from people wishing me luck on my exam in August. Turns out one of the foundation's board members is related to the midwife in San Francisco I studied with when I was first starting out. Small world.

So, even though I lost a few days of work this weekend, it was okay. I am actually making great progress with my practice guidelines. I only have to finish a dozen more before June 1st, which feels pretty do-able at the moment. In just the past week or so, I've written more than a hundred pages of guidelines by myself. I'm almost done! I have until August to finish my modules, which also feels do-able at the moment, so I won't worry about that deadline until it's closer.

For the NARM application, I only need to cross off two more things on the checklist. 1) I need to get the properly signed forms back from Texas and Utah. I know they are en route via the postal service, so hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow. Oh, puh-lease be in tomorrow's mail. 2) I need to take a passport photo. This seemed like the easiest thing to cross off my list (they're four bucks at Costco) but it is taking me until the last moment. Call me vain, but when the stress level spiked, my skin flared up and I managed to develop a nasty pinkeye infection. Hardly the impression I wanted to submit with my application. So, I've been waiting until the last minute to take the photo, hoping I won't actually look as stressed as I feel.

Ugh, I am so close I can see the finish line!

But then . . . major drama with Tony and Lucy :(

British Airways is striking as of now until June 9th. They have confirmed seats on a flight from London to SFO today/tomorrow but since they're essentially flying on stand-by for practically nothing, they are the lowest of the low on the priority scale. We called them last night and Uncle Tony was so depressed he was nearly in tears. If they can't get on the flight tomorrow, they won't be able to fly out until the strike is over on June 9th, meaning they won't be here for the wedding! If they can't get on their scheduled flight, they're going to try to get a flight from London to anywhere in the US and figure it out from there. But, if the back-up from the strike and the volcano and everyone trying to get to the World Cup is too crazy for them to get a flight at all, they won't come this summer and will try again around Thanksgiving. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm actually hoping we can just stick with our original plan. Everyone cross your fingers they can get on the original flight.

No comments: