Saturday, May 29, 2010

NARM Application

I'm not in a good mood.

The family began invading on Tuesday. At least it feels like an invasion to me. We have four guests here now, with three more expected next week.

I'm glad for the Casa communal living experience, which was great preparation for sharing our small home with so many people. There are lots of similarities, like having to wait in line for the bathroom, not being able to find a quiet space anywhere, and having everyone comment on what, when, how, and how much/little you're eating. At least at Casa, I wanted to be there, there was a ton of laughter mixed in and everyone put their pants on before they walked around (ahem, Lucy).

Louis is getting ready to head off to Tahoe for the big bachelor party weekend. I'm actually glad for him. I'm so happy he's going to be able to get away and just relax. I'm not even jealous. He so deserves this. There should even be snow up there still, which he'll be thrilled about.

At the same time, the whole guys-only thing makes me miss Casa desperately. I can't believe I'm still having a hard time adjusting to being here instead of there. You'd think after two months it wouldn't be so difficult.

Yesterday was a big day. I managed to get my passport photo taken, so the only thing I was waiting for was the set of signed paperwork coming in the mail. Now, usually our mail comes between 10 and 11 in the morning. But since I was waiting for it, it didn't arrive until about 4:15 in the afternoon. All the forms were done correctly! I assembled the application packet and one for school, copied everything, filled out the money order, and I went VROOM off to the post office. The time on my receipt is 4:59 pm. It will get there by the June 1st deadline. Talk about cutting it close.

I sent a thank-you text to the midwives for helping me out. I got a call back from my favorite midwife saying she was so proud of me. Aww, you guys! We had a super great conversation and I discovered I still remember how to laugh. It's always great to get compliments from a mentor. I miss her so much.

So, I was feeling pretty good yesterday afternoon. We had a nice dinner together and then took a walk around the neighborhood. I watched some TV with Tony and Lucy and they gave me a gift of two beautiful necklaces they bought for me. It was a nice evening and I was so relaxed.

Louis' cousin and the Dutch guy spent the day in SF and I kept waiting for their call to come pick them up at the BART station. The evening wore on and still no call. Tony and Lucy headed off to bed. Still no call. Louis dozed on the couch. I watched Glee from last week (good!) and still no call. It was 1:30 am before I finally got the call and went to pick them up from BART. WTF! All I needed was for my client to go into labor before I could get a couple hours of sleep. Of course nobody else ever considers what it would be like to get called out of bed at 3:00 am. Naturally, nobody else ever considers what it would be like to not know when they'll next be able to sleep, eat, or shower, or what it would be like to provide continuous support for an exhausting forty-eight hours or handle an emergency on two hours of sleep.

So, if I get a little cranky about the fact that my entire life is upside down at the moment and that I need to take care of myself so I can take care of my clients, I offer no apologies. I just want to be left alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha, so funny that lucy runs around in her underwear :oD

we once got back to my 2nd uncle's house really late after visiting night markets in taipei. oh my gosh, i felt sooooo bad!

dk

Louis Heystek said...

Your very grateful husband is having a great time in South Lake Tahoe with the guys. Learning lots of new words. I "reckon" Lamar is happy with how things have come together, too. Wish I could build an instant in-law unit so you and I can move into it -- just us! Extremely proud that the paperwork-due-by-June-1st part is winding down, though I know all too well that your road to the exam is far from complete. Thanks for being a wonderful wife and handling things as best as you can. Can't wait to get back home for the "shift change"! I promise that after the wedding, all will die down and we can finally enjoy our guests!

amy said...

Lucy runs around in her underwear with all those people around? I guess it's true that at a certain age, you really don't care! :>)

It was very rude of the BART people to not call sooner. They may have enjoyed themselves, but at your expense.

I'm sure that after only two hours of sleep that your client was still lucky to have you around. You, somehow, come through for these people. I don't know how you do it. Catch cat-naps when things are quiet?

And, while I can empathize with your extremely full house, I'm not sure what else to say... My supportive words are only, "It'll be over sooner than you think". Just look how fast the last 6 months have passed! I can't believe it's June already!!