Saturday, February 2, 2013
Homeschooling
I'm on call right now as an assistant for T who has a client due any day. I met the client at her prenatal visit this morning and I like her a lot. Curiously enough, she is the third woman in a row whose birth I have/will attend who is having at least her fourth baby AND the third woman in a row who homeschools her kids. I'm so impressed with these women who are so organized and amazing. Some people really can do it all. I know I'm a bit off the grid when it comes to healthcare, and homebirthing is just the norm for me, but I'm starting to think that homeschooling isn't quite so crazy anymore. I keep meeting normal families who are homeschooling (plus some extra religious folks) and I've been learning so much. There are so many different ways to homeschool. I think a lot of people think it's just a mom who stays indoors with her kids all day long and the kids don't ever interact with the outside world. But actually, there are lots of co-ops and local groups where homeschooling families meet up for classes, events, field trips, etc. I find it all so fascinating and I'm glad I still have a few years before I have to make a decision about how Olivia will receive her formal education. Louis and I don't agree just yet on the topic of her education, but I'm definitely leaning toward the homeschool route. I'm keeping all options open. Ha, now I'll really be among the crunchiest of the crunchy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
peggy's sister homeschools her 2 girls. is louis not into the homeschooling idea? all the homeschool peeps i've talked to recently are doing the coop method.
dk
Louis *says* he's ok with homeschooling but I know he's really not into it. He has WAY more faith in our local public schools than I do and he thinks they're good enough. Fortunately, I have a few more years to work on him :)
is he using the good ol' "we went to public school and we turned out ok line?"
dk
Yeah, plus he still thinks of SL schools as way better than Oakland schools (which is true), since that is the reason his family moved to SL years ago. Still, my opinion is that "way better" does not equal "good."
Post a Comment