A community member wrote to me to complain about the lack of bike rack space at the library, so I brought it up at the meetings...over and over again. I had to keep asking staff for progress updates. Finally, after a bunch of research and beaurocratic dragging, we discovered there were Measure B funds to cover the cost of the racks, so they were approved and installed this month.
We have new bike racks!
My next project is getting staff to use the library's Facebook page to publicize the awesome events we have at the library. They say it takes a lot of staff time to post updates. I say that's silly and they can schedule out posts for the week. It takes minutes.
I'm also interested in researching the process of hiring volunteers at the library. Olivia and I are there multiple times a week and have been since she was a baby. I love all the activities the library offers but I am thoroughly unimpressed with the volunteers we've encountered.
This past week, we went to preschool storytime and while we were making our paper train craft project, a little girl across the table from us vomited everywhere. Poor girl just had it keep coming up. Fortunately, her mom was there with another adult, who was able to help clean it up, even though they had other little kids with them. The librarian came over to check it out and he at least offered to help. The volunteer came over and just walked on by. She didn't even offer to get paper towels. Not cool.
I've seen other volunteers unnecessarily grab and carry kids, scold kids, and make inappropriate (and borderline racist) remarks about kids bodies.
I'm not sure what can be done. I guess I need to figure out more about the process of becoming a volunteer. Any thoughts from my librarian friends?
No comments:
Post a Comment