Went to a birth today. My third Christmas Eve baby in the past six years! The funky moon stuff this week put a ton of people into labor. I knew I would be heading out to a birth soon, but I was surprised about today's. Especially since I still had a whole house to clean and gifts to finish and wrap, which is what I was thinking when my phone rang at 2:30 this morning.
Fittingly enough (considering it's Christmas Eve and all), the hospital was completely full when we arrived (for a planned hospital birth). Since she was 8 cm, they had to find us a room and quick, so they stuck us in a closet! The baby's sex was unknown until the dad made a very proud, "it's a boy!" announcement. After a totally unmedicated, challenging birth, we all got teary-eyed when the baby started to cry. The mother made a point of grabbing my hand and thanking me with tears in her eyes. She said I was "the best ever" and that she would never, ever forget me. I was so caught off guard that all I could think to say was, "aww, you guys."
It was such a wonderful way to spend a holiday which otherwise would have been filled with stress and to-do lists. I even came home to a Heystek family dinner and gift exchange that was perfectly pleasant! I guess miracles DO happen every day.
Merry Christmas, y'all.
1 comment:
that was a great! i loved reading every bit of it. it only reinforces that you are fantastic at what you have chosen to do --- congratulations. did she really give birth in a closet?
Post a Comment