Sunday, February 20, 2011

Commission Appointment

We're almost official! On Tuesday evening, Louis and I will be sworn in by the City Council to our respective new roles.

I will be sworn in as a commissioner on the Library-Historical Commission and Louis will be sworn in as a member of the Personnel Relations Board.

There will be handful of other people being appointed as well, but the appointments are the first thing on the City Council meeting agenda. The meeting starts at 7:00 pm at San Leandro City Hall. Feel free to stop by if you are in the area. It's pretty unusual to have a husband-and-wife team sworn in together. We've already been told that one of the SL bloggers is working on an article about us. I cherish my privacy, but as a midwife, and now as a public identity, it's slowly being chipped away at, and it makes me uncomfortable.

Still, there's lots of work to do and I am looking forward to being part of a city commission again (I was on the Youth Advisory Commission in high school, which is how I met Louis). I have a feeling I'm gonna like my new role more than he'll like his.

At the last Library-Historical meeting I attended, the commissioners presented the outgoing members with plaques and - get this - a golden library card! I hadn't realized it until that moment, but one of my life goals is to earn a golden library card. I am beyond excited about that special perk.

3 comments:

Crazy said...

Congratulations!!! what a sweet treat --- a gold card. you both are perfect for your new positions.

Arrowhead said...

oooh, any perks come with the gold card?

yellowrose15 said...

I'll find out about the perks soon. I have a meeting scheduled with the library manager, who will give me sort of an orientation. There is another woman who is new to the commission too, and at the last meeting, this guy asked if the two of us women could meet him at the same time, so he could "do" us together. Ew. I'm not sure about him.