Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Family to Family

Tonight, Louis and I are attending the first session of the Family to Family class offered by NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). I found out about the class from the family caregiver support group I go to twice a month. This class was highly recommended to me, so I signed us both up.

Here's the description:
Family to Family is a series of 12 free weekly classes structured to help caregivers understand and support individuals with serious mental illness while maintaining their own well-being. The course is taught by a team of trained NAMI family member volunteers who know what it's like to have a loved one struggling with one of these brain disorders. There is no cost to participate in the NAMI Family to Family Education Program. Over 80,000 people in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico have completed this course.

I'm interested. We're especially hopeful that we'll find some leads on how to place the MIL in safe housing that the whole family can actually afford. The class is geared towards people with a family member who has major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, panic disorder, and OCD. That's us! We're so hopeful.

1 comment:

yellowrose15 said...

Love, I am thankful that you are a good daughter-in-law and caregiver for my mother. I hope the F2F classes will be a great resource!