Monday, March 19, 2012

34 Weeks

The weeks are flying by. Baby is getting so much bigger and stronger. I'm feeling baby weighs about 4.5 pounds-ish, which is right on target. The baby's position is much easier for me to palpate now and I love checking the position every morning. Baby has been head down for quite some time now but his or her body flips from side to side every so often. Last night I felt feet in my ribs for the first time. Baby has hiccups all the time now, sometimes it's as often as three times a day. The heartburn will disappear for days at a time and then come back out of nowhere, as ferocious as ever.

Louis is being as patient as possible, but I'm pretty sure the baby's movements are just way more fascinating to me than anybody else. I try to involve him, but I think he's a little tired of me yelling, "Look, look! Here, feel this. Wow. Oh, you missed it!" Along with putting up with my endless "feel this" comments, my moodiness, my frequent bathroom trips, my daytime naps, my worrying, and my nesting, Louis has been working really hard around the house fixing everything that seems to be falling apart. After last week's non-stop rain, he was just a tad bit upset to discover that our backyard drain had clogged (or broken) and all the extra water from the saturated earth had found its way into our newly cleaned basement. So, for the second time in two weeks, he and his dad brought in the wet/dry vac and cleaned up the whole basement floor. Again. They snaked out the drain, fortunately discovering that it wasn't broken, just clogged. Phew.

A few days ago, there was a local news story about SLPD catching three robbers who had been breaking into homes in our neighborhood. They were caught just a couple blocks away, which is kind of scary. I know there have been a lot of robberies going on lately, and some of our friends and family have been personally affected. Louis and I have been thinking about ways we could try to make our home safer. He wants to get an alarm system, but unfortunately, it isn't in the budget this year. One thing we have done is try to store our laptops and other valuables out of sight every time we leave the house. Louis and his dad worked on fixing our office door so that it can now lock easily when we're gone. I wish we didn't have to worry about this now, but at least we're more aware. I love that both my immediate neighbors are retired and home during the day and the neighbor directly across the street works from home. We all watch out for each other. I still love where we live.

Yesterday, Louis and I had our first pregnancy photo shoot. My sister was very gracious about helping us pose for belly shots and couple shots with a backdrop and props. She took a bunch of photos and now we just have to choose which one we'll hang over the crib in the baby's room. I may even put a belly shot or two on my web site. The rest we'll keep on disk for us. I hope the baby will appreciate the photos when he or she is older.

I know I still have about a month to go, but I'm so not ready for baby to come yet.

No comments: