Oh, so much to write. Lots going on lately.
Louis and I started a six-week series of childbirth preparation classes last week. Coincidentally, the classes are being taught by a former client of mine. She teaches the only non-hospital based class in our area, and as a homebirth mom herself, I knew she would be a great instructor. She really wants to be able to quit her day job and start birth work (she wants to be a midwife eventually) so teaching evening childbirth classes is her first step toward achieving that goal. I went back and forth about whether we needed to take a class, but I decided I really want Louis to have the full experience of being an expectant dad, plus I really want to support the work that she's doing.
Before I signed us up for the class, I called her to ask 1) was there still room for us, 2) were we welcome, and 3) would it be weird for her that I had been her midwife? She was great about being honest enough to say she would feel a little intimidated because I "knew so much more" than she did, but I kindly reminded her that I had never been through labor before. She was very welcoming of us and our first class was great.
There are two other couples, so the environment is very cozy and personal. At our first class, she gave out a workbook for each couple, plus a binder full of info. She had delicious snacks laid out, which was super helpful for an evening class, I realized.
As the class went by, I found myself thinking about how I could totally teach a childbirth education class myself. I think I would really enjoy it. There was only one moment when I left my "normal pregnant woman" role and became a midwife for a second, and it was to answer a question about cord clamping. I made sure the instructor looked at me and specifically asked if I could jump in before I answered. For the rest of the night, Louis and I were just another couple expecting our first baby, which was nice.
I'm so glad we're taking this class together. It feels like this parenting thing is becoming real now. Yeah, all the info is a review for me, but the experience of going through it myself is completely new. And, I really want Louis to feel like he's being included as much as possible. I've asked him to come to the birth stories potluck so he can be more exposed to newborns and postpartum realities, he's been coming to the group prenatal visits T has graciously invited us to attend so he can get a sense of what visiting a midwife is like, we're signed up for a breastfeeding class, a cloth diaper class, and a newborn care class in the upcoming weeks, and I may sign us up for the hospital tour, just for fun. I know it can't be easy being married to the "expert" but he has been wonderful about participating in everything and making his own decisions about plans for the birth and caring for the baby.
At last week's class, each participant promised to do one nice thing for our partners this week. I was thinking a foot massage was in order. Guess I better get on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment