One of my best birth friends came over this morning to hang out. Her baby is 6 months old now and super cute. I attended her birth way back in my first trimester, which seems so long ago now. It was great to get to just talk about our babies and how life has changed this past year. It was also nice to be fussed over, as she exclaimed that I was a beautiful glowing pregnant chick, she admired the baby's room, and she brought a gift for the baby PLUS fresh eggs from her own chickens! It was so good to see her.
One of the things we talked about was how hard it was for her that her baby had lots of sleep issues up until just recently. She said it totally stressed her relationship with her husband and everybody was pretty miserable for a long time. Fortunately, things are much better now. She said she remembers me telling her that some point of the whole pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience was meant to bring her to her knees, and this was it. I had, of course, forgotten that I'd told her that, which was a piece of wisdom that had been passed on to me by a wise old midwife.
Hmm, I can't help but wonder which part will be the "bring me to my knees" part for me. I hope I've earned at least some credit for all the tough emotional parts of pregnancy. My friend was great about letting me whine about how I desperately want Louis' attention, even though I know the only reason he isn't able to give his full attention is because he's working hard for us. All of a sudden I feel like such a needy person. I was really glad to hear she had felt the same way.
I felt so much calmer after talking with her and playing with her little boy. This afternoon I finished washing and putting away all our baby clothing, blankets, towels, etc. Frogs and ducks are everywhere! Yesterday, I picked up a pack of Seventh Generation newborn diapers to get us through the first few meconium days before switching to cloth. Tomorrow, I will have my blood drawn for the last time this pregnancy and I'll install the car seat in my car. Things are coming together around here. I'm looking forward to a relaxing date night tonight. There won't be many left.
No comments:
Post a Comment