Saturday, December 1, 2012

Babies and the Wedding

I went to a birth! T's client went into labor yesterday and T called me around 4 in the afternoon saying she wanted me to head out since things were really kicking in. Grandma came over right away to stay with Olivia until Louis could get home, and I took off. Between the rain, commute time, the bridge, and game day traffic, it felt like I'd never get there and I was afraid I would actually miss the birth. Turns out I had nothing to worry about because the baby wasn't born for another 9 hours! The little bugger was supposed to just slide right out, being her fourth and all. But, nope. The apartment was tiny, so I ended up pumping in my car every few hours. It was nice being at a birth with T again. At one point when the baby was just about to be born, she looked at me, smiled, and whispered, "I'm so glad you're here!" Aww, you guys. It was a beautiful birth and it felt so good to be back. I didn't even worry about Olivia the whole time. I made it back home and into bed just as she was waking up for an early morning feed. I dozed for about two hours and then it was time to get ready for a wedding. Oh my god, getting out of bed I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Ugh, the sheer exhaustion after the adrenaline crash following a birth is just brutal. While I took my short nap, Louis, Olivia, and grandma went to see Santa and Louis' friend who dressed as Mrs. Claus. I missed Olivia's first Santa visit :( Louis said she was so good and she didn't cry at all. We have a super cute picture of her sitting on Santa's lap tugging on his beard. When they got home and I managed to pull myself together, we dropped off Olivia and headed back across the bridge for the wedding of my former preceptor. Oh my goodness, it was the most beautiful wedding I have ever been to. I was all choked up the whole time and it wasn't because of the sleep deprivation. I am so genuinely happy for her. The ceremony was so meaningful, the food was delicious, and I even got to slow dance with my husband. It was awesome. If and when Louis and I renew our vows, I want our celebration to be just like this wedding. It was such an honor to have been at both the birth and the wedding today. I missed my baby girl terribly, but I knew she was just fine. Oh, I am so looking forward to some sleep tonight. What a day.

No comments: