Friday, January 25, 2013

No More SAHM

Okay, so the truth is that we have reached the point at which we (okay, I) must admit that it is no longer financially possible for me to stay at home.  *sigh*  No more pretending I can pull off the stay-at-home-mom gig.  I gotta go back to work, and as soon as possible.

Louis has been researching web site ideas and decided he wants to create a wordpress site for me.  I've been instructed to find as many photos as I can to make my site pretty and homey.  I'll be checking with clients, of course, but if any friends or family have photos of me holding babies or otherwise looking like a nice midwife/person, please let me know!  Even a generic belly shot from pregnancy would be cool.

I've spent all evening looking at web sites of my colleagues and I'm feeling rather discouraged.  I know that maternity leave is a good excuse to be away from work, but I feel so far removed from midwifery at this point.  All my colleagues seem to have awesome bios about their decades of experience, their numerous degrees, and their extensive training and expertise.  I feel like I'm just a new mom and a new midwife.  It's going to take quite some imagination to write a nice, new bio.  It's like I'm starting midwifery all over again.

I've been to three births since Olivia was born, but it's been almost two years since I used my full skills, including drawing blood, performing a full physical exam, giving extensive breastfeeding advice, etc.  There are definitely areas where I feel rusty, which is why I'm not looking for primary clients right now, just a lot of work as an assistant midwife or a labor assistant (doula).  I don't know how long it will take me to get my groove back.  Oh, what I wouldn't give for one more trip to Casa for a major dose of confidence.

Anyway, I'm putting the intention out to the universe that I'm looking for work.  I know the midwife confidence and the child care and everything else will fall into place exactly as it's supposed to, if this is what I'm really meant to do.  Please send me good midwife vibes :)

No comments: