Friday, April 5, 2013

Insurance

I got hired tonight! A woman in Hayward planning a home birth for her first baby. Look at me, I'm a midwife again!

I had two interviews, one conference call, one midwife meeting, and one prenatal visit this week. If you add in zumba, I was barely home in the evenings, which Olivia was NOT happy about, but it was okay. I'm loving the feeling of being back to work. Plus, I've already earned about five times what I made for all of last year!

One of the things at the top of my to-do list is to set up an account with an insurance billing service. So far, I had only been working with Kaiser women because I didn't have the ability to bill insurance. Now, though, I'm ready to move ahead. The one-time start-up fee is a steep $750, which hurts but I know I have to just do it. I hope to be fully set up by the end of this month, and then I can bill all PPO insurance at the out-of-network rate for both homebirth and hospital labor support, plus well-woman care (pap smears and such).

I just finished reading a new midwife memoir (my favorite genre!) and I'm ready to be a midwife again. Louis is cheering me on and T is happy. Yay :)

No comments: