Thursday, February 6, 2014

Toothpaste

I went to the dentist yesterday. Once again, I politely declined the X-rays. The hygienist gently reminded me that I have been declining X-rays since 2007. How awesome is that? I had no idea it had been so long. I'm quite proud of myself, heehee.

Anyway, my teeth are fine. But I have some issues with my gums. Specifically, my toothbrush is tearing up my gums! I just replaced my brush (we get the family pack from Costco) and the bristles are super hard and I think I push too hard, as well. She pointed out where my gums were protesting the roughness, and I was surprised but also grateful she showed me, because I never would have known otherwise.

She also pointed out that the tissue inside my cheek was sloughing off onto the mirror. She asked what kind of toothpaste I use and I said whatever Crest they sold at Costco. She basically said it was toxic junk and my mouth was trying to tell me so. Huh.

Years ago, I switched out my shampoo, conditioner, soap, laundry soap, cleaning supplies, etc. to non-toxic versions (and stopped wearing deodorant) but funny enough, I totally forgot about my toothpaste. It's the only chemical-full thing remaining in the house and I am now on a quest to find a good natural version. 

It's especially good timing because Olivia is interested in using toothpaste (or at least holding the tube up to her brush while the cap's still on) and I really want to make sure we have a safe version for her.

My hygienist is pretty awesome. She even emailed me some gluten-free recipes when she got off work. I like my dentist and the staff. I'm so grateful for yesterday's check up.

No comments: