Louis finished our taxes and we found out that he made more money last year than we've ever seen. Great news, but it meant we owed a lot of money back. To try to lower our amount, he decided to not include my business expenses and then somehow decided not to include my meager income, either, and by the time I signed the forms, my occupation was "homemaker."
I'm hurtin' bad.
I put so much info becoming a midwife. Literally, blood, sweat, tears. Money. Time. It cost me friendships and a normal life. Now, I'm not even legit anymore. Being reduced to the one job I swore I would never do is just something I can't even handle.
In my new "homemaker" role, I've been busy planning O's birthday party and keeping up with the birthday party invites she's been getting, as half of the girls we know are turning 4 in the next couple months. We went out to Park St in Alameda yesterday to check for gifts at a place called Lauren's Closet. Because I only asked her three times before getting into the store if she needed to go potty, O decided she needed to go potty just minutes into our shopping. I went to the front counter to ask where the bathroom was and was snottily told they didn't have a "public bathroom" but that I could take O across the street to another store or down the block to Starbucks. I about lost it. Instead of telling the b where she could go, I took O across the street to the other store. Where they were awesome, by the way. Not only were we able to use the bathroom but the guy offered to come up with ideas of the gifts I was looking for AND he offered to stand near the front door and watch for O while I shopped AND he showed her a toy box full of stuff she could play with. Out of guilt and appreciation, I ended up buying something I didn't really want or need, but I was so grateful for his respect.
I'm so tempted to write a one star Yelp review for Lauren's Closet but am trying to calm down about it first. Kids store with no bathroom? You're nuts, lady. And the attitude was not okay. Alameda pretentiousness.
Last night I had a chance to go out walking, since Louis was home and not at a stupid SLED meeting. I go out to walk the track at the park near us and find that they've started installing the prison fence already. This thing is big and ugly and so completely unnecessary. The more I walked arround it, the angrier I got and the more I kept walking to work off the anger. While I meant to be out there about 20 minutes, I ended up walking for over an hour. I thought about public schools and homeschooling and how I should really organize a co-op like everyone is asking me to. As I passed the holes where the cement was sloppily poured for the posts, I couldn't help noticing how deep the holes were and silently hoped they'd find some Ohlone remains and have to stop the whole project. Felt much better after I got all the angry thoughts out and walked until my hips hurt.
I think I need a good long walk everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment