Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Academic Preceptor

So, I'm coming up on one year of being a licensed midwife (yay!), and I've discovered that the one year mark magically opens up new professional opportunities for me.

One of these opportunities is to become either a clinical or academic preceptor for students enrolled in midwifery school. I'm nowhere near ready to take on a student and supervise their mastery of clinical skills (ha!), but the academic preceptor possibility is rather intriguing. My role would vary slightly, depending upon the school, but generally I would be responsible for meeting with a student on a regular basis to set the coursework plan, review their academic progress, assign grades, submit evaluations, approve and supervise research projects, etc.

The benefits to the student(s) I work with would be that I'm seriously committed to the further professionalization of direct-entry midwifery, I'm easily accessible from most parts of the Bay Area, I'm the only Latina licensed midwife in the whole region, I have access to tons of resources such as textbooks and journals both at home at through Mills, and I'm flexible about balancing school with life's varying circumstances. And, I ain't no hippie. Since I am a recent graduate, I fondly remember how tough my teachers were with me, and how I came to appreciate their high standards and lack of airy-fairy bs. When I was teaching at Casa, I discovered my big-sister-bossyness comes through loud and clear, so I'm not really worried about whether I will enjoy precepting or not.

The benefits to me would be that I would get paid, I would be forced to stay current with the latest research and guidelines, I may be challenged to research info I don't know, I would get paid, I would get to discover a whole new side of midwifery, I could schedule student sessions between births so that it wouldn't interfere with my practice, I could work from home, I would get to challenge and encourage the next generation of midwives in my community, oh, and I would get paid.

I still plan to do some more research about the possibility of becoming an academic preceptor, but I am definitely interested.

Each one teach one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds great, especially the part where it'd force you to stay current.

the bossy thing seems out of character for you, but that's only 'cause "you're not the boss of me!"

dk