Well, as it turns out, being 30 isn't all that bad. I had a really wonderful birthday this year, with lots of love from friends and family. I find myself having way more gratitude about all kinds of things in my old age. Suddenly the little things are noticeable now and I try my best to say thank you as often as I can.
A couple days before my big day, I attended my first (planned) homebirth as a primary licensed midwife. San Leandro's newest resident was born gently into my hands as his big sister, tia, and abuelita watched. Mom, baby, and the entire family are doing well and this midwife is quite pleased with the whole experience :) And speaking of gratitude, I could not have survived the birth without T. God bless her and the way she graciously assisted me for the very first time.
Our big news is slowly making its way out to our "village" and it has been really heartwarming to see and hear the reactions from everyone who has been bugging us for years about having a baby. My favorite reactions include a neighbor saying she was so happy she could cry, an aunt who jumped up and down and screamed, and a friend's mom who made me all teary-eyed as she reminded us about how much love we already have for our baby. Louis and I are still making our rounds to tell more family, friends, and co-workers about baby Heystek, who will be making an appearance in early May. We hope to tell most folks by the end of this week, so we can Facebook it without worrying about whether someone will spill the news unexpectedly.
As I transition into a new decade and into a new life role, I will be experimenting with changes to the layout and content of my blog, but I will definitely keep the blog going, so that years from now my little one and I can look back at all the printed archives and laugh at how silly I once was. Someday, I hope my baby will be proud that his/her mama is a midwife.
1 comment:
white background makes for easy reading.
dk
Post a Comment