Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Birth Certificate

I'm alive!

That mastitis was brutal. It got so bad I even took a trip to Kaiser to see a breast specialist/surgeon about what I thought was a huge abscess in my right breast. After an ultrasound, the good news was that it was not an abscess which needed to be surgically removed, but it was a rather nasty breast infection which needed antibiotics. Ugh. I had to leave my baby girl at home for the very first time AND I broke down and took the dreaded antibiotics. It was not a fun week.

But, I'm feeling so much better now and little girl is thriving. She changes so much even day to day.

Today, Louis, Olivia and I went to the vital records office in downtown Oakland to sign her birth certificate. It was her first car ride and she slept through the whole ride there, the entire appointment, and the whole ride home. Her paperwork was submitted and we can pick up the official birth certificate in three weeks. It was a very pleasant experience, since the lady who registers home births for Alameda county is super nice. We we able to choose up to three races each for the birth certificate. Silly social science nerds that we are, we agonized over our choices for days. In the end, my race is listed as Mexican-American (which is not actually a race!) and Louis put Eurasian/Dutch Indonesian/Malaysian. Louis listed his occupation as Deputy CFO and mine is listed as midwife.

Louis wore her in a Moby and got lots of compliments from the staff. I think he's a pretty cool dad. Let's just hope she thinks so, too.

No comments: