Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Patiently Waiting

Looks like we won't be having a may day baby :(

Our midwife visit went well today.  Baby and I are still normal and healthy.  I asked the midwife to strip my membranes, which means I wanted her to stick her finger into my cervix and twist around to loosen any adhesions between the cervix and bag of water.  The hope is that this will stimulate prostaglandins that will get some contractions going.  Poor Louis, I squeezed his hand super hard while she was stripping me, cause it hurt so much!  I was so glad he was there.  I knew it would be intense but I'm also ready to move things along.  No contractions since then, but I'm super sore and achy.

I'm dilated a full two centimeters and the baby's head is really low.  Our midwife laughed when she was able to feel a small bulging bag of water in front of the baby's head followed by what she described as a lot of hair.  Yep, there had better be a good reason for all this heartburn.  Our baby will likely have a full head of hair when it's born.  There must be a ton of hair if she's able to feel it through the bag of water!

The thing I loved best about our visit today was that she is totally not concerned about anything related to my pregnancy or birth.  What this means to me is that she views me as totally normal, which is awesome.  There was no talk about me needing to do anything to stimulate labor, no concern about the baby's size or position or amount of fluid.  My blood pressure is great, my urine is clear, and my weight gain is minimal.  I'm feeling majorly uncomfortable and just very much done, but I love that she has total faith in my ability to go into labor on my own and birth the baby just fine.  Phew.  She totally doesn't stress me out at all.  I love it.

Speaking of stress, though, I can't stand the excessive texts and phone calls anymore.  I've decided to turn off my phone completely, except for the occasional Facebook checks.  I think I'll update my labor progress and birth story info here on the blog instead.  Yay for private blogs!  I want family and friends to know what's going on, but I just don't want to deal with the repetitive grilling from people wanting to know the same info over and over.

So, as time will allow, I will totally post on the blog when labor starts and how it's going, as well as when the baby is born.  In the meantime, I will continue to patiently wait for our little one to arrive.  Louis is home, yay!

No comments: