Olivia's entire room has been de-cluttered, including all my stuff in the closet that we share. I had some keepsake bins full of photos, old jewelry, and bits in the closet. We went through them together and it was fun to watch her reaction. She ended up grabbing a bunch of play jewelry for herself, which she's keeping in the bottom drawer of my jewelry box. She laughed when she saw old photos of me.
I cleared out a bunch of stuff to just throw away, some to ebay, and some to sell at our upcoming garage sale. I'm planning to take scrap gold and silver jewelry to sell at The Point next weekend. Our whole street will be having a block sale in a couple weeks, so I've been gathering as much stuff as possible because I truly want this to be the last garage sale we do.
When O was asleep last night, I went through all the books on her bookshelf and weeded out the ones that she's outgrown or just never read. We're moving out of baby books! Her books were still in great condition, so I boxed them up to donate to OneChild. Then, since I had the box about half full, I decided to donate a bunch of my books, too. I would love to keep about two shelves total of my books, but since I still want to read each one before donating, it will take some time to lessen my stash.
I'm not quite a minimalist, since I still have a closet full of clothes, but it feels really good to be doing away with all the excess. It's almost a game now to see how little I can live with. Surprisingly, it hasn't been that hard. I just don't want to be emotionally attached to stuff that will become a burden on my family when I die. Plus, it's nice to make a little extra money off of what I don't need and it's really nice to give stuff to others who need it and want it.
The office and garage continue to be my biggest challenges and will require the most amount of energy to clean. I will conquer them!
No comments:
Post a Comment