Monday, August 30, 2010

My Dad

A quick update for those who heard about my dad.

Friday morning he went out to breakfast with his BFFs/co-workers and started feeling weird. Eventually, they drove him to the hospital, where he found out he had had a heart attack. He spent Friday evening at Hayward Kaiser. Saturday morning they moved him to Santa Clara Kaiser for the procedure where they inject dye into his arteries to check for blockages and unclog them right then.

After Saturday's procedure, the doctor came out to tell us that there were more blockages than they expected and they couldn't be fixed at that time. My dad needs to have open heart surgery for multiple bypasses.

That surgery was scheduled for first thing this morning, but has now been postponed until tomorrow or Wednesday. We still don't know when it will happen.

My mom hasn't left my dad's side this whole time, so the four kids (me, Louis, sister, bro-in-law) have been taking food and clothing and stuff they need. So far, we've been able to be there everyday. Yesterday, we spent pretty much the whole afternoon hanging out with my dad. A bunch of other family and friends stopped by, and at one point there were 12 of us in the small hospital room. I know, it's so Mexican.

My dad is in pretty good spirits. We're all frustrated about not knowing when the surgery will happen, but we're trying to keep him occupied. Santa Clara is a brand new hospital with fancy flat screen TVs, so he's been watching cable and his John Wayne DVDs like he would at home. He has a private room, and no one kicked us all out, so that was nice. The hospital food is pretty terrible, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

It's been hard to tell the story over and over. Thanks for understanding and for all the good thoughts and prayers. Right now, there's just a lot of waiting going on. I'm pretty sure I won't be going to Texas at this point, but I'm still taking it one day at a time. I'm not posting updates on Facebook, but I can get and send texts and email from my phone. I'll keep you updated.

Please keep the good thoughts coming!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

God bless you all. We're keeping you and yours in our prayers.

Arrowhead said...

prayers and good vibes coming your way, jen!

Crazy said...

i'll be home soon for a real hug!!