Lately, I've been asked by numerous people about when I plan to set up a Facebook page for Generations Midwifery Service, so folks can "like" it. I promise, I am getting there. I'm trying to figure out the angle I want to take, whether it's posting study results, great articles, product reviews, local events, or birth stories submitted by clients. Probably, it will be a combination of all of the above.
I'm so glad to have my private blog for personal life and venting purposes. Now, I'm working up the courage to go public with my practice. At the moment, I'm indecisive about going for it.
What if only a couple people "like" me? What if I get a bad review by a disgruntled client? It's never happened, but I suppose it could. Plus, I'm the peace-keeping Libra. What if (God forbid) I share my opinions in a public space and people disagree!? I wouldn't know how to handle it.
At the same time, what if I got to show off the tons of cutesy baby photos I receive from the families I work with? What if the public space allows them a chance to write nice things about my services? What if people publicly support my opinions and encourage me to post more? I think I could live with that.
Ugh, but I'm still indecisive. To Facebook my practice or not. Any opinions?
3 comments:
have you checked out any other facebooking midwives? i loved my nurse midwife but i wouldn't facebook her --- but that's just me.
I have! My favorite Facebooking midwife is Navelgazing Midwife. She's Cuban-American and a Casa survivor who lives in Southern California. She has more than 800 followers who leave tons of great comments. I always check out her page when I'm stuck waiting in line.
Nurse-midwives are a whole separate breed than direct-entry midwives. They mostly just work in the hospital, so they see women for short prenatal visits, the birth, and maybe a postpartum visit. We're much more community based, meeting at clients' homes for hours at a time, sharing meals and life stories, spending much more time at the birth, and doing a whole lot more postpartum care. Many homebirth midwives are frequently recognized at places around town and treated with a different kind of respect, so it would make sense that the community response would extend to the Facebook world, as well.
I decided to set up a page for my practice. I'm just taking my time to get it going :)
I say do it, then I can like you on it :)
Post a Comment