Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Official

Well, it's official. Today I sent out an invitation to the brand new "Aspiring Midwives Support Group," hosted by yours truly. I already have four people signed up and everyone is so excited! I'm kinda proud of myself for taking an idea and running with it, as they say. I've already started preparing for the group by gathering up a stack of midwifery journals, books, and magazines I no longer need and want to pass on. I'm also gonna print out a list of midwifery-related yahoo groups and local study groups they should check out, plus info on local and national organizations they can join (with info about the reduced membership fee for students) and a calendar of local events.

I'll have food for the meeting, since it will be in the evening and since food makes everyone happy. Two of the women are bringing their 3 year old daughters, so I'll have stuff for them, as well. Speaking of which, I have started working on some kid-friendly additions to the house. Louis doesn't know it yet, but I've decided to get rid of the spare bed in our back bedroom. We can make better use of the space as a play area, and the extra bed just sort of invites relatives to stay for long periods of time, since we make it so comfortable.

Anyway, the bed will be leaving us soon. I'm also gonna work on boxing up our photo albums and displaying our cookbooks elsewhere, so we can get rid of the bookshelves, too. Any ideas on where I can find a clean, non-toxic rug for a kid's room? Maybe I can ask my mom to keep an eye out for a small wooden table and chairs at a garage sale. I'm excited about this project!

Another thing that became official today was my decision to join the Library-Historical Commission. I went to their meeting tonight and was blown away by the fact that the youngest person on the commission is 60. For reals. So, I'm submitting my application to the City Clerk tomorrow. I should be sworn in during February. One of my first acts will be to pressure the staff to create a Facebook page for the library. I'm pretty sure the other commissioners will have no idea what I'm talking about, but there totally needs to be more community outreach. There are some really great things going on at the San Leandro libraries!

Anyway, I'm excited about all these new changes. Life is interesting :)

4 comments:

Arrowhead said...

congrats on all the recent developments! :)

ya, i feel the same about a "guest" room. it'll just be wasted space. right now, i'm working on turning one of the rooms into "jen cave" so me and the man have our own work space.

as far as the rug... ikea? they have a pretty decent kid's section.

Anonymous said...

are you tossing the bookshelves?!

dk

yellowrose15 said...

I checked out Ikea rugs and I no likey. I have my eye on a Pottery Barn Kids rug, but I have no idea how to pay for it. eBay actually has some affordable rugs with free shipping, so that may be what I choose. And, yes, I'll be getting rid of the bookshelves, but I'm hopeful that I can sell them to help pay for the rug.

I brought up the subject to Louis tonight and he is currently "thinking" about my ideas. Fingers crossed!

Crazy said...

i suppose you've already tried craigslist for a kid friendly rug. as for guestroom.. besides you and Louis having had used it once, it has since been a great place to store wrapped christmas gifts, unfolded piles of laundry and currently, plastic bags and wrapping paper.