Monday, January 10, 2011

Library-Historical Commission

So, I just found out my new City Council member is thinking about appointing me to the city's Library-Historical Commission. Now that the election is over, favors are being paid out, and one of the perks of being married to the person who managed a winning campaign is being appointed to a coveted city commission spot.

I think I'll take it.

According to the web site, this is what the commission does:

The Library-Historical Commission makes recommendations to the City Council regarding policies for use and improvement of all properties operated for library purposes by the City; rules and regulations governing the operation and use of library buildings; proposed user fees for various special library services and meeting room use; proposed contracts with other agencies for the provision and use of library services and facilities; acceptance or rejection of proposed donations to the City for library or historical preservation purposes; policies and programs for preservation and restoration of important historical sites and items within the City; liaison between the City Council, citizens and all pertinent agencies and organizations sharing interest in the City's library and historical activities; and coordinating and assisting appropriate programs in the City in order to stimulate interest in and advancement of historical awareness.

My parents can attest to the fact that the San Leandro library was my favorite place to be when I was growing up. I started with Miss Penny's storytime, participated in all the summer reading programs, and "studied" there during high school. I still remember the old main library and how we used to watch tons of movies and performances there. While my sister had her dance lessons, my grandma used to take me to the old Manor library so I could get my daily fix of a good chapter book. See? Sometimes it pays off to be a nerd.

I still have to make it official by filling out the application and being sworn in at a city council meeting in February. I'm not even on the commission yet, but I already got my first complaint from a citizen. A woman wrote to me this morning to say she heard the rumor that I was going to be appointed and she wants to meet with me to discuss how the library is "in no way serving the Latino population." Ay, Dios.

Anyways, here are a few save the dates for the next couple months:
*Saturday, January 22nd, 2:00 pm, Main Library - Meet Tamlyn Tomita, who starred as Waverly in the movie The Joy Luck Club. Free!

*Friday, January 28th, 7:00 pm, Main Library - Showing of the The Joy Luck Club on the big screen. Free!

*Saturday, January 29th, 2:00 pm, Manor Library - Showing of the The Joy Luck Club on the big screen. Free!

*Saturday, February 5th, 1:00 am -3:00 pm, Main Library - Lunar new year celebration with music, lion dancing, and storytelling. Free!

*Wednesday, February 9th, 7:00 pm, Manor Library - Red Panda Acrobats perform. Free!

*Saturday, February 26th, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Main Library - Mother/Daughter luncheon and Asian fashion show. "Enjoy a dim sum luncheon as you watch models don the latest apparel designs from local Asian fashion boutiques." $20 per person.

2 comments:

Crazy said...

I'm excited for you!! We think you would be fantastic for that position and an asset. THANKS for the list of festival activities --- i told Greg that we are going to the Lunar New Year AND the Red Panda Acrobat activities when we're home!!

yellowrose15 said...

Yea! I know one of the perks of the job will be advance notice and priority seatage for cool events that Kean would like. Can't wait until you guys are here for good! At least my term is four years long :)