I discovered a cure for heartburn . . . pickles! You wouldn't think so, but apparently the vinegar works to stop the burn and the ickiness. Plus, they're just so delish. With my pickles, all is well with the world again.
My dad (aka Grandpa) was super nice today and bought me a jar of the biggest pickles Costco sells. I picked them up from him while I was out, and as I pulled into the driveway at home, my next door neighbor decided it would be a good time to ask me all about midwifery. There I was, balancing this huge, heavy jar of pickles on my hips as he asked about my training and the difference in philosophy between doctors and midwives. I've gotten used to people asking questions about my work all the time, not to mention the eagerness with which people want to share their birth stories, but this was the first time I was interviewed while holding pickles. Haha, he doesn't even know I'm pregnant, so he must now think I'm totally weird.
I went to the dentist this morning and had a good check-up. I like my hygienist a lot. She remembered that I mentioned thinking about getting pregnant at my last visit, which was in July. I got pregnant only a couple weeks later, so she was happy to see I didn't waste any time :)
I was especially relieved to learn I didn't have any cavities or signs of gingivitis. Pregnancy hormones tend to make gums swell and trap stuff, so it's much more common to develop gum disease while pregnant, but it's also linked to preterm birth, low birth weight, and gestational diabetes. Having healthy gums is a very good thing. As the hygienist says, "what's happening to your body also happens in your mouth," meaning that if one is healthy, it's likely the other is too. Yay.
She was nice enough to ask if I had any objections to flavors before she polished my teeth. I told her as long as it wasn't pork flavored, I'd be good. As the dentist checked me over, we talked about the baby and I learned she was a twin. I was so fascinated because natural Asian twins are the most rare. Until today, Louis and Lamar were the only other natural Asian twins I knew.
On my way out, I picked up a pink toothbrush and made my next appointment for July. I'm glad the dentist is so close by, cause I guess I'll have to leave the baby with grandpa for that appointment. This pregnancy is flying by.
No comments:
Post a Comment