Now, I'm financially nesting.
Just a few days ago, I mailed off our FINAL car payment! We own our cars now, woohoo! What a tremendous relief. I was giddy.
Then, I checked out a stack of books about estate planning from the library. Since we don't have a huge list of assets and our "estate" isn't very complicated, I'm gonna draft up our wills without a lawyer. I love the Nolo Press books.
Tonight, Louis and I are meeting with a family friend who is hooking us up with life insurance. I feel kind of embarrassed that we are just now getting around to buying such an important thing, but better late than never. Since I'm still relatively young (ha), the rate for a 30 year term is pretty good. I have already done a ton of research on our options, so I'm ready to go. Louis wanted to ask a few questions and thought we could meet with the insurance friend on Friday, but I'm not having it. This must be done NOW. I feel such an urgency to get all this important financial stuff settled immediately.
It's funny how my nesting with house stuff switched overnight to the financial stuff. Does every pregnant lady go through this? I already have an advanced health care directive, but I'm planning to write another one specifically for the birth. Maybe I'm being dramatic (me?) but I do not trust Kaiser in the least. If I have to be there before, during, or after childbirth (especially if I have to go under anesthesia), I need to know my wishes for the baby will be carried out.
Baby and I are still healthy, so I'm totally expecting the best, but it makes me feel better to be prepared for the worst. My goal is to choose a guardian, pay for our first month of life insurance, and print out our wills by the end of the month. It must be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment