Saturday, March 16, 2013

Midwifery Politics

I haven't been posting very much lately because life has been hectic. Work is keeping me pretty busy, which is good.

What's not so good is there is major drama going on with regards to midwifery politics right now. The short story is that the professional group representing obstetricians has sponsored legislation in California that would make the practice of midwifery darn near illegal. Like, seriously, this is happening in 2013. Ugh.

Olivia and I, along with T and other birth professionals, went to Senator Ellen Corbett's office this morning to talk with her staff about our issues, since the senator sits on the business and professions committee, which is involved in hearing our legislation. It's all rather complicated and a tad boring but really it's so upsetting to me that midwives have to fight yet again for the right to practice legally.

Of course I'll be getting involved, I just don't know to what extent yet.

No comments: