Saturday, March 2, 2013

Student

T has a student that I can't stand. T knows how I feel and it puts her in an awkward position, so I feel kind of bad. But really, her student is so annoying.

The three of us went to a birth this past weekend and the student made one inappropriate comment after another. I think what it comes down to is that she has no respect for me as a licensed midwife, especially since I'm 15 years younger than she is. She commented to me that, "it's interesting being in an apprenticeship . . . you know, as an adult." Ha, like I was 12 when I was an apprentice.

We did a postpartum visit together and the student wouldn't stop talking the whole time. Fortunately the mom was okay with her but the student completely misunderstands social cues and preceptor-apprentice etiquette. At one point when I leaned in to take the mom's blood pressure, the student snuck a peak in my bag! She later admitted she looked because she was curious about what I carried. How rude!

At the birth, we did the newborn exam together and when I pointed out that she didn't have a measuring tape with her, she snapped that she "does all that" at the end. I would never have dreamed of talking to another midwife like that when I was a student, or even now. The girl could use a serious dose of humility.

Funnily enough, I don't find her personal jabs at all offensive . I actually think they're hilarious most of the time. It's pretty hard to personally offend me. But she can be so incredibly annoying. More than anything, though, I miss my T. I miss working together just the two of us, before all the student drama.  While I was on maternity leave, T got really busy (which is a great thing) but we're now on two different paths. Ah, the times, they are a-changing. I miss the old days.

No comments: