Thursday, September 26, 2013

Watch

My beloved watch has gone to watch heaven.

I got this watch as a gift from my parents in 2007 when I started my midwifery training. It survived three trips to Texas and nearly all the births I have attended as a student or licensed midwife. It has been dropped, stepped on, and covered with nearly every possible bodily fluid. It has been thoroughly cleaned with alcohol, green soap, betadine, and super duper anti-bacterial wipes. It was worn at night, in the shower, at fancy events, in pictures, and while giving birth. My watch was a Swiss Army dive watch from REI with a rubber band, a glow in the dark second hand, and a large face.

I loved my watch.

Earlier this year it started goofing up the time and I replaced the battery twice in just the past couple months. Today, I finally realized it's gone :(

I'm on call for a birth, which means I needed a watch immediately, so Olivia and I went to REI in Berkeley this afternoon. I was hoping to find the same watch there, but I guess they don't make it anymore. I asked the nice guy at the counter for a dive watch with a second hand and I just let him think I needed it for diving. He was all into telling me how far down the watch could go, and I didn't have the heart to tell him the real reason I needed the dive watch was so I could deliver babies underwater.

I found a watch I absolutely love. It's got a purple band! It has all the right features and it will be super easy to clean. It was spendy, but if it lasts me another 8 years, it will certainly be worth it.

Hello, new watch!

No comments: