Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tot Time

Olivia is back in Tot Time at Broadmoor Preschool for the fall. It's a program for 2-year olds and their parents. On Monday mornings from 9-12, it's essentially free play at the preschool. We love it.

This time, we convinced a friend to join us and it's been great to have a buddy to talk to and spot for bathroom runs. We even signed up for the same snack group so we could cover for the other in case one of us can't make it.

Today, Olivia and her friend met Paco, the preschool's pet snake. I have no idea what kind of snake he is, but his head is pretty small and there's no bright colors on his skin, so I'm thinking he's pretty safe. He's been there for 7 years or so and the kids love him.

My friend offered to hold him so the kids could come up and pet him. It gives me the willies just thinking about it. Blech. I'm glad O isn't afraid though.

There was another mom who was fascinated by Paco, so much so that she held the snake for about half an hour while she completely ignored her kid. She kept taking cell phone pics of the snake on her arm and texting them. Meanwhile, her kid emptied out a bunch of bins of little toys that I ended up cleaning.

This particular mom is the youngest in the group. She looks like she could be a teenager. She also has the worst behaved kid. He's the only one who refuses to sit for circle time and he's just generally disruptive. She doesn't seem to have any ideas on how to handle him and the other moms have been talking about her.

I feel bad for this mom. She's young and Latina and clearly an outsider from the rest of us Pottery Barn-buying yuppies. It must be really lonely for her. But how do you make friends with someone whose kid you don't like?

Some of the other moms I really like and I'm glad we have a good group this year. Broadmoor is still our number one choice for preschool.

No comments: