Olivia didn't nap today, so she went to bed early and I have been super productive ever since.
I cleaned out my midwifery email inbox, answering messages that were waiting and creating folders to organize the rest. I have had SIX inquiries within the past week. It's a new record for me. Three of the six are close acquaintances of mine from the Holistic Moms Network. I don't think they know that they are all newly pregnant together. They're all due just days apart. I'm definitely not going to out anybody, but holy moly. Must be something in the water in Fremont!
I very painfully passed each and every inquiring potential client on to other midwives, honestly explaining that I was taking a break as a primary midwife for the moment and that I didn't know when I would be coming back. *sigh*
What's the deal, universe? If you send me all these inquiries because I'm supposed to be a midwife, can you help me out with the childcare issue, too? I'm getting conflicting messages.
I tidied up a few charts (I know most of my colleagues are switching to electronic records but I'm holding onto my paper charts until the moment I'm forced to upgrade) and started a new one for my one and only special client.
Then I wrote a check to the medical board for my license renewal, since it's that time again. For a fee and a bunch of CEUs, I'll be official and legal for another two years.
Earlier today, I stopped in on an IV class my midwife was teaching at the Oakland birth center so I could hand off the final payments she received from the classes. Olivia and I got such a warm welcome from the class. It looked like they were having fun. I wished we could have stayed longer.
T stopped by this afternoon for a brief visit. Wish we could do that more often. She said she had been talking with the other co-owners of the birth center and they mentioned they all want me to come on as a partner. Ha! Not gonna happen, but it feels nice to be wanted.
The inquiries definitely help my ego, especially the ones from women I know. They say things about how great I am and how they want to hire me because they like my "calm nature and warm smile." I feel really bad passing them on. I did offer to help as the assistant midwife, so hopefully I can still attend some of the births.
Looks like it will be a busy spring! Lots of babies on the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment