Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Felted Soap

I had an artistic breakthrough tonight!  I've been attempting to make felted soap because it's quick, easy, and looks so darn cute.  Except that every bar I felted came out lumpy and with bare corners even though all the ones listed for sale on Etsy look perfect.  I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

After another frustrating attempt at felting tonight, I watched a couple YouTube videos and learned that the secret is to use a nylon to wrap the soap in during the felting process.  Oh!  I tried it and my soap is now coming out beautifully.  Hurray!

Another thing I learned is that the instructions for felting soap vary widely.  I've seen instructions on the time it takes to properly felt a bar of soap from 1 minute to 30 minutes.  I also saw someone say the finished product will dry in one hour and someone else said it takes at least 24 hours.  Those are kind of huge ranges.  No wonder I was confused.

Anyway, I did six bars tonight and I'm hoping to do seven tomorrow.  Dryer balls are done but I'm itching to get to the thrift store to see if they have any more wool yarn.  I have a few canning projects in the works and a couple batches of ice cream to make this week.

So many projects, so little time!

No comments: