Saturday, February 21, 2015

All Better

Despite all the complaining I do about how tough motherhood is, I have such a great kid and it truly is a privilege to be involved for such an important part of her life. It's hard for me because I feel like I put so much into being a good mom and providing O with everything she needs. It can be exhausting (and when I need a break, I need a BREAK), but it's also really fun. She cracked me up a bunch of times today.

I felt basically back to normal this morning and we ran a few errands before taking the make up photo at school. Well, actually, we danced around the house first, and then we ran errands and did the photo. She refused to smile, of course, but she didn't cry, so that's okay. O chose a fancy dark blue dress and I put a white bow in her hair, which was super bouncy with curls today. We ordered one of the smaller photo packages, but we'll get at least a few pics and the class photo for her to keep.

The make up photo time was during a class for four-year-olds and O was fascinated by them. A four-year-old is a whole different animal! The girl behind us in line turned to her dad as we were waiting and said, "Don't I look fabulous!?" and then struck a pose. Clearly she had no problem smiling for her photo.

O didn't nap today but surprisingly, I wasn't counting down the time until Louis came home. I think it may have helped that we spent so much time outside. Last weekend our gardener effectively fired himself by showing up drunk and wanting to raise our fee by more than double. Since then, I've been thinking about whether I would be able to handle the yard work myself or if we really need to find another gardener.

This afternoon, O and I swept up the whole front porch and up the front of the house and over the threshold (being that it's Chinese New Year and all) and under the welcome mat and the stairs and the walkway. Then we sat and blew bubbles for awhile and played catch with her Minnie ball. She's getting better!

I noticed the gardener from next door was working and I went over to introduce myself. I said that I noticed he took care of a few houses on our street and wondered if he was able to take on another one. I was really surprised that he hesitated for a long time before he said he would be available in the spring. We talked a little about the basic maintenance we wanted done, he told me Roundup is completely safe (are you kidding me?!!!) and then said he would call in a couple weeks. 

No. Way.

So anyway, we're on the lookout for a good non-alcoholic Latino gardener who wants a steady gig and who is willing to work without Roundup or any other toxic ingredients. Oh, and Louis wants him or her to be good with texting. Alright, universe, we're putting it out there!

Our orange tree has tons of oranges on it and I'm trying to figure out how I can pick them when they're so high up. How does the tree manage to thrive even though we've completely ignored it since we moved in? Maybe I should start a compost pile under it. My preschool teacher had a compost pile under an orange tree in her backyard and I remember the eggshells and other bits we'd throw back there. I don't remember anything about her using worms or rotating the soil, though. You can't just, like, throw green waste under a tree and hope for the best, though, right? I need to learn more about composting.

I got to work on my newest craft project tonight! I'm just sort of starting it but it feels so good to be doing something creative. I wonder if there are other people who have also become addicted to working with wool and felt. I tried to look up some groups on Facebook but I didn't find anything. I have dozens of questions to ask about my new project but I'm just plowing ahead because I don't know who to ask. Ooh, another thing to put out to the universe. Where are all the wool workers? I have so much to learn!

No comments: