Sunday, February 1, 2015

Day to Self Conference

Today was my "day to self," the one day of the month when I get to do anything I want to do from 9 am to 5 pm while Louis watches Olivia.

Now that she's not really napping anymore, our days together can be really long, and late afternoons are sometimes brutal. Some days I count down the minutes until Louis gets home.

Anyway, by Friday evening I was feeling rather desperately in need of a day off, and I was really excited about being able to stream the CAM conference while I cleaned the office today.

The first presenter was the only I really wanted to hear. Aviva Romm is a midwife/herbalist who became an MD but still stays true to her roots as a holistic practitioner. I love her books and writing and I basically want to be her, lol. She did not disappoint at the conference today!

As soon as she was done, however, our internet connection decided to be funky and kept dropping literally every two minutes. I kept having to unplug the router and restart my computer to log back on and listen to the conference. After the 20th time doing that, I was so furious about being cheated out of so much time from my day off. It was beyond frustrating.

I ended up getting long chunks of time where it worked okay, but it was not at all how I planned it to go. In the end, I got three loads of laundry done, took an inventory of all my midwifery supplies, filed all the paperwork on my desk, packed a new birth kit, and gathered up some stuff to donate to the birth center that T runs. I filed my stats for last year and packed away the old charts. I organized my herbs and homeopathics and wrote out a wish list of essential oils I want to buy.

In the end it was a good day, but I already feel like I could use another day to myself. I wanted to do so much more.

No comments: