On Monday, Louis and I got his and hers chiropractic adjustments from a friend of mine. Later that night, once we had finally gotten O to sleep, I had a little meltdown and told Louis that motherhood was so hard, that I missed my old life, and that I just wanted a break. Not sure where all that came from. Did I manifest this illness?
Tuesday was a typical day and O was totally back to normal from whatever illness she had. Tuesday night, though, I was chairing the library commission meeting and started to feel funny. My eyes started watering and I could feel my face get hot. I was trying to concentrate on the presentation about the city's general plan and how the libraries will be effected, but my nose started running and I had to reach for some Princess Sofia tissue from my purse.
I somehow got through the meeting but when the library manager asked me if I was okay, I knew I was coming down with something. By the early hours of the next morning, my entire body hurt and I could barely move. I had chills and a fever and just felt miserable. I was fortunate to catch Louis as he was waking up so I could tell him what a sorry state I was in and he called in to take the day off.
That ended up being helpful because all I wanted to do on Wednesday was sleep. I'd get up to go to the bathroom and go right back to sleep. I was so nauseous and no food looked or sounded appealing. I had to force myself to eat and then sat with a bag next to me because I thought it would all come up. I was beyond useless.
I think the worst part was the chills and the achiness. Miserable. Then, I could hear Louis' phone ringing literally every two minutes (a story for another post) because he was trying to work from home but he learned the hard way that one does not actually get any work done with a little one at home. I could hear his impatience and frustration and I just wanted to crawl deeper into bed. When he finally took her out of the house, I could actually get some rest.
Louis went back to work this morning, without checking on how I was doing. So, okay, he's supposed to go to the office everyday, I know. That's what he gets paid for, blah blah, but we have no other help when I'm sick and can't take care of O at home. Our most helpful grandparent had dialysis this morning and was in no mood for a little visitor who is full of energy. And everybody else was working.
I didn't feel much better this morning, so I just laid on the couch and let O watch entirely too much TV and eat too many peanut butter pretzels. In the afternoon of our napless day, I even put on Annie and then let O play on the iPad. Horrible. I just wanted so desperately to rest but every time I knew she was ok and I could doze off for two minutes, she suddenly needed my attention again.
By 3 pm I seriously considered posting on Facebook to ask if anyone could entertain O for an hour. I even made a list of things I could use for payment. But, we toughed it out and both of us were delirious by the time Louis finally walked through the door.
I headed to bed while they had dinner and got the rest I had been trying to get all day. I feel much better now and am hopeful that I'll be back to normal again tomorrow. Which is good, because we need diapers and groceries and O needs to take the make up class photo that we missed by not going to school today.
I need to feel better.
No comments:
Post a Comment