Anyway, I found myself helping out the new families today with tips and info about the school and supplies and it was the first time I felt a real sense of pride in belonging to the community there. It really made me look forward to the possibility of becoming part of the official preschool co-op. The director asked me if we had already applied and I mentioned that we were just waiting to get our TB tests done. She told me not to even worry about that until we were closer to fall, so it looks like our application is now complete and I can drop it off any day now. The lottery drawing will be on March 20th and we'll find out that day if we got in.
So, O and I were playing with the matchbox cars (which she *loves*) and a really cool bendy, flexible track to race the cars on and we were having a great time together this morning. All of a sudden the brattiest kid I have ever met comes stomping over and walks over our race track to grab a car out of O's hand. She grabs it back and the snothead hits her! It all happened so quickly but I immediately grabbed his elbow, looked in his eyes and said, "We don't hit" through clenched teeth. He looked stunned for a second then broke into the ugly cry and ran off. A couple other moms nearby asked what happened so I told them the story and they basically congratulated me for saying something because they also can't stand this kid.
I know it's not the kid's fault but I can't help not liking him. His dad brings him to school and just lets him do whatever (including bringing his red-dye sugary juice despite the school's "water only" policy). But this is the third time he's tried to hurt O, including once trying to push her off the seven foot high play structure. I refuse to just say nothing when I see him act up. I must admit I felt some awesome satisfaction when I made him cry today.
Ugh, if only I could make the obnoxious dad cry. He's the embodiment of white male entitlement and I can't stand the sight of him. He's planning to apply to the preschool for the fall and they are seriously the only reason we wouldn't choose the school. I'm not convinced he would be able to keep my daughter safe and keep his son from attacking other kids. I wish they would just disappear but they just bought a house right across the street from the school, grr!
Maybe I should say something to the director, especially since other parents are concerned. Wonder how a preschool director handles something like this?
Maybe it's good prep for real life for O to deal with this boy. She has no qualms about snatching things back and yelling at him to get away, fortunately. I like to watch her work things out on her own but I draw the line at the intentional hitting and pushing. Not cool.
Maybe O and her girl friends will form a group to show this kid he's not in charge, lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment