Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Emergency Bags

Finished another project tonight.  I packed a bag for each of us to keep in our cars in case of an emergency.  I put tons of research into this, and I'm glad I can finally see the result, even though I hope we never have to use them.

I managed to find a super large water-resistant backpack on Amazon for cheap.  At REI something comparable was over a hundred dollars but this one was about twenty-five.  It has a word in Chinese written down the middle, but whatever, lol.  The bag is large enough to hold all our stuff and it's not that heavy when it's fully packed.

I did a bulk order of medical supplies recently and split them among our bags, a bag for my sister, and supplies for the preschool.  Because it was a bulk order, things were extra cheap.  This was a fun project to put together.

I used a list of emergency supplies that I found at the library as a guide, and included most things off the list.  We have flashlights, duct tape, Swiss army knives, rope, emergency blankets, light sticks, waterproof matches, flip flops, cash, a full change of clothes, and basic toiletries.  I also packed a medical bag of all kinds of bandages, gauze, antibiotic ointment, burn cream, and sterile supplies.  I included bags of emergency survival food and packets of water but I may add some more food items.  I hear dried fruit would work.  I plan to check everything and change things out about every six months or so.  There's so much more I can add, but I don't want to go crazy.

My extra medical supplies will be stored in the house, along with a huge stash of emergency food, a portable toilet, and lots of water.  I hope to invest in a generator someday.  And I need to find a good tent and a portable shower.

I know there's an earthquake coming, and it feels good to do a little something to prepare.  Hope it will be enough.

No comments: