So, the basic premise is that, in order to properly de-clutter (aka tidy), people should only keep in their homes items that "spark joy." The author created a system of tidying based on a certain order in which you clear out items, so you start with easy things like clothing and books first and then end will sentimental items. The key is that you have to physically touch each individual item to decide if it sparks joy or not. If so, it should be organized in such a way that it has a proper place. If not, it should be donated. To clear out clothes, you are supposed to dump every item of clothing you own in a big heap on the floor and pick out only what inspires joy. Everyone who does this is so shocked by all the excess stuff they have.
I've pretty much been doing what she suggests, but the book was helpful as a guide and there were some great tips I picked up. On the Facebook page, someone posted a checklist of items to sort through. I can't wait to start another category!
I would say I've been working on my own version (and now the KonMari method) of tidying for a solid two months now. I still have a long way to go, but I've made a lot of progress. Altogether, I think I've donated close to 10 garbage bags full of stuff, not including the stuff I've sold or given to friends. I've KM'd O's room, the kitchen, and my part of the bedroom (dang, I wish I could get Louis to do his side!). The living room, bathroom, and dining room are nearly done. Along the way, I've added new things like curtains, a rug, and a bookshelf.
I'm loving my home so much more now. I've lost 8 pounds and I'm sleeping so much better at night and waking up more rested. I started using my diffuser in the bedroom, and now my home even smells good.
I only wish I had known about this sooner!
No comments:
Post a Comment