On one of my many helpful Facebook groups, I recently read about someone canning water to keep as an emergency supply. Once I realized one could actually do this, I fell in love with the idea. Canning jars full of sterilized water take up the same amount of space as empty jars on the shelf, so why not? In an emergency, we can use the small amounts of water for things like teeth brushing and whatnot. Every little bit helps. And, if I ever need the jars to can food, I can just dump the water into the water bath, so it's not really wasting any water. They're supposed to keep a minimum of two years but some people say it will be fine indefinitely.
I tried my first batch of 6 quarts tonight and it went well. All together, I probably have close to 100 mason jars of all sizes, so this project could take awhile. I'm planning to put the finished jars on the shelves in my kitchen cabinet but I would also really like to set up a proper storage area for all our emergency supplies.
Another project, gah.
No comments:
Post a Comment