Thursday, December 17, 2015

School Woes

Guess I have more to say tonight.

I've been thinking lately about how O and I are not quite as connected as we have been, ever since starting preschool. We're not playing games as often at home, or doing projects together, aside from cooking. I'm reading a stack of books to her everyday but I haven't actually "taught" her anything recently.

Coincidentally, or not, she has been more defiant than ever. She's also into furniture gymnastics now, which is just so not cool. She isn't listening, she whines, and occasionally she gets so frustrated with me she hits me. It's kind of a vicious cycle, because sometimes I don't want to play with her. I can't *stand* pretend play or the "Mama, now you dance, now you do this" stuff she wants to do.

So many moms I've talked to said 3 is just a hard time, and that it will get better. I hope so. We've gotten so much out of our preschool experience so far, but some days I seriously consider taking her out and homeschooling now.

We had a couple incidents today with the family I find most challenging at the school. O was rocking in the wooden boat when another kid climbed in. She got upset and put out her hand to tell him she wanted to rock alone. The challenging dad overheard what was happening but instead of reminding her to share, take turns, keeps hands to yourself, etc, he basically yelled at her to put her hand down. Didn't crouch to her level, didn't stay calm. Stood and pointed down at her while raising his voice. No authority scares O, fortunately, but I was so angry watching it all play out. He doesn't speak that way to any other kids that I've seen, and it definitely felt like he was taking out our dislike of each other on O. Not cool.

Then, his son had a birthday today so they brought cupcakes to hand out after school. EVERY OTHER DAY IT'S SOMEONE'S BIRTHDAY AND THERE'S A SUGARY TREAT AND I HATE IT!!! But, I deal with because I don't want O to be the weird kid who can't eat anything. I draw the line, however, at toxic food dye.

I watched as the mom passed out the cupcakes and noticed that under the gloppy white frosting the things were blue! I couldn't help myself but said out loud, "oh my god, they're colored." Teacher heard me and knew I was referring to the fact that one student has an actual allergy to food dye and can't have it and she and I are responsible for making sure he doesn't have any. As the health and safety person, I'm constantly on the look out for dyes, because I was the one who asked all parents with kids with allergies to post info on the fridge. Teacher knows I take it seriously, which is good.

I go over to O and tell her she can finish the frosting *grimace* but that she can't eat the cupcake because it's not healthy. She's fine with it, gives me the cupcake, and I throw it away. I'm sure I offended the mom and her obnoxious husband, but whatever.

I just want to live in a cocoon with normal people who know not to feed kids chemical garbage, ugh. I love our preschool and yet I'm SO looking forward to homeschooling.

No comments: