Today is Day 1 of the 26 week challenge I'm doing to KonMari the whole house. I'm in a Facebook group that has a set schedule of which category to work on each week. They closed the group at 1600 members, so I have lots of supportive company.
Our first tasks were to write a vision statement for our home and then to set up a place to store donation receipts for next year's taxes. My vision statement isn't done just yet. It's hard to try to put it in writing! I'm hoping to have a final version by tomorrow. For week one, our category to KM is holiday decorations, which includes lights, tree, ornaments, gifts, and wrapping paper and bags.
We have a full week to finish the category, but I'm already done! Our tree is down and stored away. I narrowed our ornament and decoration boxes down from 4 to 2 and sold or donated all the extra stuff. We have a bunch of brand new Christmas lights that Louis bought last year that we haven't used yet, but they have a space in the garage and he promises they'll be used next year. Our wrapping paper is in one bin in the garage. When it runs out, I'll just use plain paper or gift bags. The gift bags are also in a bin in the garage. I cleared out more than 40 bags that didn't spark joy and I posted them for sale. Our gift boxes are in a bin in the garage. I cleared out more than 30 boxes that didn't spark joy and they've already been sold.
The only part of this category that was sentimental was reading the tags on some of the gift bags. We had a lot of bags left from our baby shower and the tags said things like, "Welcome Baby Heystek! We already love you!" Aww..
So far, Louis has been on board. Next week is clothing, which will be harder for him. Hopefully the spacing of the challenge will make it not feel like I'm constantly nagging him.
26 weeks to a great home full of only the things that spark joy. It's not about just getting rid of stuff, but about figuring out what we love and clearing out the rest. Hopefully the KonMari love will spread to other parts of our lives, as well. This will be a great year!
No comments:
Post a Comment