This morning was our preschool's egg hunt at the Marina. Since it's my work day, I had to fill 25 eggs to contribute to the hunt. I stuck one of each type of coin in each egg, because it sounded cool rattling around and was cheaper than anything I could buy. The kids had a great time with bubbles, face painting, hula hoops, egg drop races, and a three-legged sack race. After the eggs were hunted, O grabbed her cupcake (*) and off we went to the next event.
*[expletive] the [expletive] cupcakes!!! This is the third [expletive] cupcake we've had this week! It wasn't even anyone's birthday today, it was just a mom who thought everyone needed *another* [expletive] cupcake just because. Jesus [expletive] Christ.
I dropped O off for an afternoon with my dad (the longest he's ever watched her!), changed into my "midwives help people out" shirt and went to career day at Bancroft. They fed us lunch, which was awesome for those non-Paleo eaters. For me it meant scraping the tuna out from between the sandwich slices and having a mandarin orange. Anyway, the thought was nice. It was a pretty well organized event.
I was assigned an eighth grade science room for my afternoon presentations. I think it went well! Over lunch, some of the other presenters talked about how bored the kids were but all my kids seemed really into it. I always had at least half a dozen kids with their hands up wanting to ask a question. I talked about how I grew up in San Leandro and how I decided to become a midwife and what it's like to have my job. I passed around a couple books, which was a mistake because the boys found the nude pregnant photo right away, whoops. I asked for a volunteer and got out my Doppler to listen to his heartbeat and we all calculated how many beats per minute it was, based on a five second listen. I also passed around some items from my birth bag and then walked around with Olivia's stuffed panda bear covered in a blanket and asked the kids to tell me what position it was in, using only their hands and without looking. They loved it. I had a really good time!
O and my dad also seemed to have a good time together. They ordered Chinese food for lunch, watched tv, had lots of snacks, and played with a race car track. I'm so grateful that I didn't have to worry about her. We originally planned for T to come with me to career day so she could help keep O entertained, but T's mom is in the hospital so my dad was a last minute plan. Phew, it worked out.
We came home for about an hour together and then we were off to the next event, which was the interviews for the Hispanic scholarship organization I volunteer with. Louis met us there so he could pick up O and they went out to dinner. I paired up with another volunteer and we interviewed a bunch of scholarship applicants. I do this every year and each time it is so humbling. My favorite interviewee this year was a guy who is at Santa Clara University studying to be a civil engineer, with a 4.0. His dad's a laborer and the family survives on barely any money. This guy was so confident (and cute!) and determined and called his dad his hero and inspiration. I really hope he gets the scholarship.
On our break tonight, I talked to the other volunteer about career day and it turns out she's planning a career day for the school where she teaches and invited me to come! I guess I do this now :)
Tomorrow is the first day of our spring break and I'm so looking forward to relaxing. I'm taking O to MOCHA in the morning and then we have no plans for the rest of the day, yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment