Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Monday

I spent my last few hours at Casa packing and cleaning up my room. I left the letter and a gift for A where I knew she would find it. I washed and replaced the bedding. I returned the rental car to Enterprise, picking up lunch on the way, since I knew one of the interns was craving meat. Back at the clinic, I hung out with the staff midwives for a couple hours and before I knew it, it was time to leave for the airport.

Saying good-bye when it's time to leave has always been the hardest part of being at Casa. There's just no way around it. I got hugs and compliments from the interns and lots of well-wishes (including a "go get pregnant already!") from everyone. One of the staff midwives drove me to the airport, gave me a hug, and then she was gone.

By the time I checked in at the airport, I was completely exhausted, emotionally spent, and financially done. I don't even know how I managed to go through the motions of getting on the two flights back to Oakland.

By the time I landed, though, I felt a little better. It was great to see my mom again and I'm glad she was able to pick me up and drop me off so I could fit in a shower before Louis came home. Seeing Louis was good :) Sometimes I think my trips away are worth it just for the reunion at the end. I missed him a whole lot.

I missed my home, my bed, my bathroom, my car, my closet full of non-scrub clothes...

It's always such a thrill to flush toilet paper and drink our delicious tap water those first few days back home. And the variety of fresh fruit and vegetables in the stores, wow!

I realized after this last trip that even though my home is here, a part of me will always live in El Paso and at the clinic. It was such an important part of my life. I didn't know it at the beginning, but I was meant to be a Casa-trained midwife. It's an honor, really. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Louis Heystek said...

Love, glad to read the final installment of your Casa experience which ended two Mondays ago. You graciously brought us along (even though you thought no one would be interested in the minutest of details) and poured your heart out. Please know that so many of us cling to the words of your blog because, in lots of ways, you are living out what we all wished we could do: pursuing your dream and perfecting your craft, reuniting with cherished friends far away, and taking in new experiences, even if it takes you on long road trips with no one to share in them. I am grateful to the Casa women whom I've never met for taking such great care of you, especially A, to whom I am connected by virtue of your experience. I am looking forward to meeting them all one day and am determined to revisit El Paso (we once drove through when I was 12) -- together. Welcome home!