Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sunday

I woke up, packed, and said good-bye to L and Bob pretty early on Sunday morning. Before I left, we had another chat about possible plans for Casa, based on whatever decision A would make, and I was so hopeful. I thanked them for everything and made sure she knew I would do whatever I possibly could to help her or the clinic.

The drive from Pitkin back to El Paso was pretty much uneventful. It was long, and I found myself in the middle of nowhere many times, but I appreciated the quiet solitude, which gave me plenty of opportunities to think.

I stopped for lunch in Old Town Albuquerque, where I enjoyed a dish of sopapillas again. After lunch, I shopped for jewelry sold by the street vendors in the plaza, picking up gifts for A, T, and my sister.

Including the stop for lunch and a couple stops for gas, the trip took me twelve hours. It was my longest road trip, ever. I was so glad to arrive safely back at Casa and take a desperately needed shower. I was exhausted, but also surprisingly refreshed as I hung out with the interns and the staff midwife on my very last night at Casa. The midwife on that night was the one who also teaches zumba, so when I said good-night and good-bye, I made a point of thanking her for getting me motivated enough to want to exercise. I promised I would keep it up once I got home, and she suggested I maybe consider becoming an instructor at some point. Hmm.

Alone in my room, I finished writing the letter to A that I started more than a week ago. I poured my heart out on paper and told her all the good things that I thought about her, which is the first time I have ever done that. I thanked her for specific things she had done to help me over the past few years and told her I would do anything I could to return the love someday. It felt good to get it all out. I felt more free afterwards, and as I had no more tears left, I soon fell asleep at Casa for the very last time.

No comments: