Friday, June 20, 2014

Campaign Kickoff

Last night was the campaign kickoff event for Pauline Cutter for San Leandro Mayor, the campaign Louis is managing. It was a huge success! More than 100 people filled up Zocalo coffeehouse and more than $7000 was raised.

By default of being the campaign manager's wife, I am a member of the steering committee and was asked to help provide food for the event. I had grand plans of baking some gluten-free stuff but then remembered that I have a toddler and all gluten-free baked stuff tastes gross. So, Olivia and I tried out a new recipe for rocky road using the crock pot to melt the chocolate.

Olivia was my special helper who poured all the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and walnuts into the pot. It was her first time sampling both a chocolate chip and a marshmallow and she loved the chocolate. Because of my special helper, however, I couldn't move quickly to combine everything before it all melted together, so it melted together. I laid it out on a cookie sheet and then sprinkled walnuts on top to make it look prettier.

Just before we left, I chopped it up into bite size pieces to make it go further. At the end of the event, a guy we know came up to me with a ziplock bag full of the rocky road. As he said hi, he offered me some. I laughed and told him I brought it. He said it was delicious and that he was trying to sneak his bagful into his wife's purse so they could take it home. He told me they make Irish cream and a few other things that he'd love to do a trade with for more rocky road. Ha. Guess my failed experiment turned out okay. 

Louis did a great job and I'm glad he'll get some relief now that that event is over. Olivia was awesome as she clapped at just the right times and played with another lite girl there and was just generally super cute. We got tons of compliments about her. O loved the night because she thought, of course, that "Auntie Pawneen" and "Auntie Guessy (Jessie)" and all the other aunties and uncles were there for her. She even got her own little campaign tshirt to wear.

Campaign season has officially begun.

No comments: