Sunday, July 20, 2014

Labwork

It was a pretty rough morning.

I've been seeing a new naturopathic doctor for help with my skin and just general health stuff.  We decided to do a bunch of labwork to check my thyroid, vitamin D level, hormone levels, etc.  So, I fasted overnight and headed into the lab first thing this morning.

I brought Louis and Olivia along as a distraction, because I am such a wimp when it comes to having my blood drawn.  The last couple times I had it done was when I was pregnant and I was fine, but when my blood was taken for the life insurance exam, I nearly passed out.

Louis and Olivia position themselves right in front of me while the needle goes in.  All is going well until I start to feel the room spinning.  I ask Louis to take Olivia out and I tell the phlebotomist that I'm about to pass out.  They leave and Olivia does the (loud) ugly cry, which apparently scares the whole lab.  She didn't want to leave me but also must have thought I was hurt.  The phlebotomist keeps telling me I'm not going to pass out but I know I am and I can't do anything to stop it.  Next thing I know, I feel like I'm asleep and dreaming or hallucinating because there's all kinds of strange visions.  All of a sudden I hear someone calling my name really loudly and I'm back in the lab room.  Olivia is still screaming.  I'm so embarrassed.  Ugh.

I apologize to the workers who took care of me.  At least they finished the blood draw, so I don't have to go through that again any time soon.  I take Olivia back from Louis and try to comfort her but she is doing a sobbing, hard to breathe kind of cry.  It takes awhile to calm her and meanwhile I'm not feeling strong enough to stand.  We finally make it out of the lab and I sit and nurse her in the car until she's okay.

Louis says we're never bringing the whole family to the lab again.  I agree.  I wish I knew what Olivia saw or thought and I really hope I didn't traumatize her.  I don't want her to be afraid of needles like I am.  I was doing great with her until just before I passed out.  My last words were even, "Mama is so brave!"  Ha.

We went out to brunch afterwards and then ran some errands.  I felt weak and crappy most of the day.  I'm not sure whether to wish for good lab results or not.  It would be nice to have some answers.

Good grief.

No comments: