I'm so behind on blogging. There's so much going on!
Our anniversary party was beautiful. More about that later.
Two days ago, I was doing my routine Facebook browsing on my phone while lying next to Olivia, waiting for her to fall asleep at night, when I happened to come across a missing person notice. It was our neighbor across the street! There was an official police report saying she was reported missing as of that afternoon and that she was considered suicidal. She's married and has two kids and a dog and I just never would have imagined.
As the evening wore on, Louis and I and many of our neighbors on the street were keeping each other posted on what we saw or heard. It was a strange feeling to be so close and yet so helpless. It was interesting watching Louis' reaction because he kept saying if it had been me or us, he would be a complete wreck. I think we appreciated each other a little more that night.
The next morning, her van wasn't there and she was still considered missing. I gathered up some strawberries and kettle corn from the farmers market the night before (the only new food in the house) and took it across the street for the family. Her husband answered the door and he seemed sad but really calm. I offered to help however we could. What more could I say? He said all they were asking for were prayers and all they could do was just wait.
I walked back home and packed up Olivia into the car so we could head out to the library. As I was getting her in, the neighbor I had just spoken with got in his car and sped down the street. I later found out that the police had found the missing woman and he was apparently on his way to her. So, she's home and alive. No one has seen her since she came back home. *All* the neighbors have talked or texted or called or Facebooked each other but no one has spoken with her.
What do we do now? Do we all go on pretending like nothing happened? What did actually happen? What am I supposed to say once I do see her again? I wonder what her kids are thinking.
Louis and I will be hosting our block party for National Night Out in a couple weeks and it may be very awkward. We shall see. I'm glad she's safe for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment